so the paper i turned in last week? i totally got the max points on it (i was not expecting that). to celebrate i’m going to spend some time knitting today. once i study for a little while first. i have two finals this week, and i want to make sure i’m as prepared as possible. even though they are both open book/open notes…yeah, that is not always enough. especially when one of the tests covers the entire text book (all 19 chapters), and the other is an accounting course. and the book sorta sucks. combined with the fact that i’m NOT putting the information to use, so i frequently have to remind myself what certain terms mean by referring to my previous accounting course books (which is a little depressing, since accounting is the career path i’ve chosen for myself)…but anywhoo… on to the knitting!!
i cast on for the hacky sack hoodie last week, after doing some swatching. i cast on with the wrong size needle (thanks swatching gnomes) and then contemplated to just go with it. mags pointed out to me that i should go with the fabric that i liked better (the swatch done on the 10.5 needles) versus the looser fabric i was getting with the needles that i didn’t intend to use, confused yet?
she also pointed out that i could always adjust the pattern to fit my gauge (i was having a slight issue here as well). honestly, i had thought of that, but then…future accountant to be, i didn’t Feel Like Doing The Math. What??? but i did, and i’m so happy with the results so far.
the fabric feels good on the smaller needles (10.5) and there are just a little more stitches as my gauge is 4.5 stitches to the inch, where the regular pattern calls for 3.5 stitches to the inch. i just started working the raglan increases yesterday, and i’m enjoying knitting with this yarn so much, and i love the color too. i can’t wait to get it to the point where dana has to try it on, so i can see if all of my math worked out:) also, the way you join this is really cool. you actually knit the last xx stitches together with the beginning stitches on the other needle, creating a crossed over tab collar. it was super easy. however, the directions in the pattern were a little confusing to me, and i found this. the designer explains exactly how to do this with some visual aids:) it was super easy. hopefully i’ll have more to show in the next few days:)