One of my goals for 2011 is to finish 11 garments. I’m very pleased to report that I finished my first sweater on February 28th. I got a little bit of a late start on it, which seems to be a theme with me lately, in the knitting universe. I didn’t follow this pattern exactly, and I was very nervous about the end result. However, it came out pretty good, in my humble opinion. I started this on January 4th. Really not too bad for a sweater knit out of fingering weight yarn, on size 2.75 mm needles. The pattern is the Bohus Inspired Yoke Sweater by Carol J. Sulcoski. The original pattern uses a lace-weight yarn held doubled. I ordered The Falling Stars kit from Knit Picks a while ago, but when I had the pattern in hand, I really didn’t like it. The falling stars kit comes with knit picks palette yarn. I started making the hat (included in the kit) to check my gauge. When I realized I wasn’t going to make the sweater, I noticed that the gauge I was getting was almost exactly what I needed to make Carol Sulcoski’s sweater. My stitch count was right on, I was just off by 1 row, which I’m glad I noted. This pattern has you do a certain amount of rows versus inches, so knowing that I was off by 1 row, I knew if the pattern said to work for 10 rows, that I would need to work for 11. So I went
for it. I ended up using a few of the colors that came in the kit, and ordering a few more to go with what I already had for the yoke. I have quite a bit of palette yarn, in various colors (I ordered some extra colors too) and I am excited to use it for some mitts in the future. I did the hems differently for this also. The original pattern has you do a sewn hem and I just didn’t like it, not with the yarn I was using. This is also one of the reasons why this took me a while to finish. I actually ripped out my cast on edge and re-knit the bottom in garter stitch. It was a pain in the butt, but well worth it. I also put a garter stitch edging on the sleeves and neck. I omitted the lace panel on the sleeves in the original pattern. Being that this was worked from the bottom-up, I was a little nervous about the fit. The pattern has you cast on an amount of stitches that corresponds to your bust-size however, I am a little wider in the hips than my chest. So I cast on the amount that was closest to my hip measurement,
and instead of doing any shaping at the waist, I just made the decreases when appropriate, in order to end up with the right amount of stitches for my chest. It had a slight bell shape as I was knitting it, but I pressed on. I also was nervous about the brightest purple in the yoke. But once on, the color seems fine, and so does the shaping. I wore this out to dinner the other night, and it was completely comfortable. If I were to knit this again, I’d make the sleeves a little longer, and maybe even go up to a size 3.00 mm needle for them. The sleeves as they are now are fine, but there is no room for growth. They don’t pull and they aren’t uncomfortable, but a little ease wouldn’t be bad I don’t think. I would also make the sweater about an inch or two longer. If I lift my arms all the way up, the sweater comes up to the top of my pants. I don’t really like that. I don’t like really long shirts, but I don’t like short shirts either:) All in all though, I’m really happy with how this sweater turned out! Sorry about the shadow in some of the pictures. I had to snag my husband on his way out the door in order to get pictures when the sun was still out:) You can check out my project page with notes on ravelry here.