So, my husband and I both enjoy video games. He does not knit, so obviously he plays a LOT more video games than I. Last winter he heard about Little Big Planet, a Playstation 3 game that we could both play together. I was pretty excited to try it out. It is a really fun game, and you can create your own “levels” that other people can play as well. I would rather knit than spend too long creating a visually pleasing video game level, but that is just me. Anyhow, I searched for sackboy on raverly, and I found that several people were knitting or had already knit this little bad boy up. So, I decided to make one for my husband.
I found a kit on etsy, and as soon as I received it I got started (when I just looked this up again to include the link, I saw that it is on sale for $5.00!) You knit this guy up in 6 pieces, and then you stuff it and sew it all together. Now, the kit I purchased came with everything you need (stuffing, zipper, eyes, etc.). The pattern it came with was excellent too. I recommend this kit if this is something you are interested in making and can’t get all the items you need at your local craft store (which is my case), and right now it is on sale! Anyhow, it only took me a week to make all the pieces. I even used a needle and thread to sew on a zipper! I’ve never done that before. I also broke the zipper 😦 It functions, but you can’t pull it too hard or the part you hold onto comes off . Well, not now since I put him together but before I had him all sewn up I couldn’t mess with the zipper. Anyway, I have been wanting to finish this for some time now, but I really do not like the finishing aspect of some projects (sewing together panels for a blanket, etc.). I finally sat down today and made myself finish sackboy. All I had to do was stuff the torso, sew it to the head, then stuff the arms and legs and sew them to the torso. That part was relatively easy. Then I was supposed to make a bendable mouth? The kit came with everything necessary, but I didn’t really know what the stiff interfacing stuff was and I accidentally cut it when I cut the fabric for the mouth. Oh well. I decided to wing it, and for someone who has never sewn a thing in her life besides a few buttons (and not even successfully all the time…last winter a button fell off my coat and I sewed it right back on, forgetting about the pocket…not to worry, my thumb fits in the little space created by the button thread going through the pocket) I don’t think I did that bad of a job. Also, the red felt tongue…I was supposed to use red thread to sew that into the mouth. I was too lazy to search for some red thread, so I used white, but I ran the thread through the tongue side to side and viola, you can’t see it. I also learned that I do not like to make stuffed toys. At least, not ones that are approximately 8.5 inches in length. Maybe one day I’ll try to make a stuffed bear, but I think I’m going to stick to socks and other items for now. I’ve finished 9 projects this summer so far! I’m pretty happy about that:) And now I have some lovely Wollmeise yarn to put away so that moths can’t smell it! I forgot to mention in my previous two posts that in addition to having a great color, this yarn also has a really pleasant smell. I’m not weird. It really does smell good:)