Frequently I feel like making something in particular, and lucky me…I have a gazillion WIPs from which to choose. Problem is…I keep adding to the WIPs, but not necessarily to the FOs. In my last post I mentioned the SOFO group on ravelry that I joined back in May, and in addition to committing to not purchasing any yarn (which I totally failed at), another one of my goals is to finish as many projects as possible. I made a deal with myself that for every 5 projects I finished, I could start a new project. I’ve done well with that so far. I’ve finished 6 projects since June (some of them had been sitting on the needles for a year!) and I’ve only started one “new” project.
But…I have about 3 other projects I’d like to start right now, and I’m working on 4 projects at the moment. Along with my goal to finish up my WIPs, I also decided to go through my project list on ravelry and decide what needed to be frogged, or re-evaluated. I wanted to re-evaluate why a project was still a WIP. The first thing I concentrated on was my Riding to Avalon Hoodie. This is a project that I started approximately 2 years ago, when I first started knitting. I didn’t understand about yarn weight too much…and I ended up with 13 skeins of Plymouth Yarn Tweed. It was on sale for about $3.50 a ball, so I went with it. I made the body of Riding to Avalon in about a month, working on it here and there. When it came time to do the sleeves, I just didn’t like the way they were coming out. I tried a few different ways and still I just didn’t like them. So the project sat for a while. Last summer I picked it back up and knit the sleeves in a plain stockinette stitch, and I still didn’t like it, so again, it sat. I had already blocked the body, and it was looking like a huge square. So, finally I decided maybe this yarn would be better suited for another pattern. See, the Riding to Avalon calls for a dk weight, and I was using a worsted weight. I didn’t really understand too much about that at the time. When I finally “got it”, I searched on Ravelry and found the Central Park Hoodie. I’m extremely happy with how it is turning out. So this is one of my projects that I have re-engineered. I also learned something new yesterday.
Tinking downwards. For the Central Park Hoodie, there is a series of ribbing here and there, and I noticed I had knit where I should have purled about 8 rows down. I figured out how to drop the stitch down to where I had messed it up, and using a crochet hook, I turned the knit into a purl. I was pretty happy with myself. I used this book as a reference: The Knitting Answer Book.