reality check, and a failure notice

the madness i wrote about before has changed. reality set in for me after completing approximately 6 hexagons. i wish it had set in sooner…maybe after i wrote about my brilliant plan…that would have saved me some time. anyhow, i know me, and i know that i hate seaming things together and i often put off the finishing details of projects if it involves seaming. in fact, i still have 12 baby blanket squares that need to be seamed together from a few years ago…the blanket was for my niece, who is now 2 ½ years old. and i started that blanket about 5 months before she was born. i don’t have a great track record as far as seaming goes. or finishing projects lately for that matter…

the new plan is to use 3 different beautiful wollmeise colors to make the barn raising quilt. i’m already on my 4th square, and for the design i want, i need 25 squares. i’m sure this won’t be complete before my little alien t-rex arrives, but hopefully it will be done and put into use while he is still a baby:) AND i’m planning on using a 3-needle bind off to join all the squares, which i guess is still seaming, but it isn’t the kind that i seem to have so much trouble with. click here for more details if interested.

so…the whole seaming thing…yeah, i’m definitely not good at it. i figure i just need to practice, i mean, if i can make socks with an afterthought LEG…i should be able to sew some pieces of yarn together right? NOPE. i made the Petite Facile baby sweater a few weeks ago.

i fell in love with the pattern when i saw it in the Winter 2011 issue of Interweave Knits. i knew i had to make it. but i also knew that i wanted to be able to wash it in the washing machine, so i ordered some Knit Picks Shine Worsted in the marmalade color (this color has been discontinued) and eagerly cast on once the yarn arrived.

the construction is quite different, and going in, i knew i’d have to seam up the sides and under the arms, and the sleeves…but i figured (incorrectly) that it is a small project and the seaming wouldn’t be too difficult. i think for the average knitter that would be true. for me, not so much. i finished the actual knitting on this in about 3-4 days, and that was only working on it a few hours each day. it really is a quick knit, and it looks interesting as you knit it. i then put off seaming it for about 2 weeks, and i finally spent a few hours! (more than 3) seaming and re-seaming it together. i hate how it turned out, so i will be ripping it out and casting on for a different sweater, this time, one knit in one piece, from the top down. i tried to take pictures of my wonky under-arm section and side seams. my project details are here.

About these ads
This entry was posted in alien t-rex, knitting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to reality check, and a failure notice

  1. gracey says:

    Love the sweater…I don’t tend to mind seeming too much, except in blankets…ugh!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s